I will be the first one to admit that a lot of the cool stuff that I do in my house is a culmination of good idea from other people. I have gotten so many great ideas from other people seeing what I am doing and saying “why don’t you do this”. That is really the reason I started this blog. Once in a great while I have an idea and see a picture that I instantly know “that’s what I need to do”. It’s such a wonderful feeling when that happens. When you don’t have to guess about the work you are doing. You just do it.
First things first, I had to tear out all the old stuff, and fix the drywall.
Once that was done, the ceiling fan needed attention. This was definitely a time where experience came into play. I know what a pain in the ass it is to replace one of these. There is no such thing as an “old work” fan. So you have to tear the ceiling out to replace and the fix all that dry wall. So I just tore the fan apart and fixed it. But I still had an issue with it saging.
Apparently when it was installed 60 years ago. It was installed improperly. Care to guess what the guy didn’t do?
It’s too late to fix his mistake, so I just grinded it down with an angle grinder. Done.
Next move was to get to work on the floor. So I had to put down the cement board.
I put down some porcelain tile that looks like wood.
I like this stuff.
next I had to paint the walls. Which I don’t have a good picture of, they are a very light grey/brown. Next I had to scientifically work out all the measurements for the wainscoting.
Once all the calculus was done, it was time to get to work. First I put 1/4 plywood on the walls. Kind of like hanging cabinets.
I started where the floor was the highest and worked around from there.
Next I added the top rail and then all of the vertical pieces.
Then the bottom rail and the furnace register.
then a tile band around the top.
It’s hard to tell from the pictures but it is a grey and white marble. Followed by another band of wood to top it off.
Then I masked it all off for paint.
Then I sprayed it, with some gloss white.
It turned out real nice.
added some grout.
and grout on the floor.
Then installed all the fixtures.
if you made it this far. here is the inspiration picture that I found on Houzz that started the whole thing.