Dining Room Day 4

I expected this project to be done in 2 days.   I built Abby’s bathroom in 3 days, and it only took that long because I wasted half a day jacking around with some piece of garbage faucet I got for free with the sink.  Nothing is free.

Sherry painted the wall.  She didn’t have much to say about it, so I don’t have much to say.  It’s painted.  I helped pick the paint, but since I am color blind I have no idea what color it is.  You know when you make hard boiled eges, and center gets that greyish color around the yellow part.   That’s what the wall looks like to me.   Falling water rock, or some crazy color name like that.   Whatever.  It’s painted.

You can see some of the mistakes in this picture.  I really wasn’t too concerned about the center of the wall though.  This mirror is not going to be a temporary thing.  The only way it is coming down is with the wall.

Now that the wall is painted it’s time to build the mirror.    I am not a professional builder, that is clear.   When I am “calculating”, I use a method known as “Bud Math”, as Sherry likes to call it.  It doesn’t make much sense, but it works for me, and when I cut something, it is always right.    In the case of the pieces for the frame, Bud Math failed me.     If I am buying baseboard trim, I know that if I get half a foot more than I need I will have plenty.   The length of the mirror is 6′, so I cut the two long pieces 6.5 ‘.    The problem is, this is a picture frame, not base board.   The 45 degree cut runs horizontal, not veritcal, which would be 4 inches on both sides.  Which means I would have needed 6’ 8″ at the very least.   None of this occurred to me until I laid the cut and painted piece down on the mirror, and it was 3 inches too short.

Since I know that making a frame isn’t the easiest thing to do, and I couldn’t find corner clamps big enough to fit the frame. My plan was going to be to cut the bottom piece first.  Then glue and nail it to the wall where I wanted it.  Then, since this is crown molding, i’d have 45 degree miter on the inside to slide mirror into.  I would then glue the mirror and use the bottom of the frame for support.   Then I’d glue the top piece in place, and cut the sides to fit like you do with door molding.  But since I cut the bottom pieces too short, that plan was out.

Sherry came up with the idea to just glue the frame right to the mirror.   Instead of spending 50 more dollars more crown molding I decided to go with that plan.    The first thing we had to do was glue the mirror to the wall.   I got a scrap 2 x 4,  found my mark on the wall, leveled it and screwed it in with a couple of stingers

Stingers…   My buddy TA, can fix just about anything with some duct tape and a stinger.    One time when were poor, young and stupid, we busted his couch wrestling around over who was going to go pick up a pizza.   1 power drill and 10 stingers later the couch was good as new.

I miss that couch.  The couch is gone, but I still use stingers to fix everything I can.

I put a ton of heavy duty construction adhesive on the back of the mirror.    They make this special adhesive that is just for hanging mirrors on walls like we are doing.  I didn’t use that glue.  I didn’t know it existed until after I hung the mirror.

We found the center point of the mirror, and the center point of the wall.   I double checked the 2×4 to make sure it was level, then we put the mirror in place.

Checked the top of the mirror for level and it was spot on.   But I had forgotten from the drywall that the ceiling wasn’t level, and that there was about a 1/2 or more rise from left to right.   You really can’t tell from the angle of the picture, but the mirror didn’t look right.   So decided we could just fix it when the frame when on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *