It has been raining off and on pretty much non stop since I started these steps. It was actually supposed to rain when I decided to finish it off, but I decided “f it”. I have some other projects I want to start but I am in “need to finish all projects before starting any new ones mode”
The first section could have been a little better. It was dark and I didn’t do a great job of cleaning the mortar off of the stones. What I should have done is color the mortar, but I didn’t. I may look at staining it, depending on how it looks when it’s all dry. I have a wire brush for my reciprocating saw, and I tried to use that to clean up the excess mortar. It didn’t really work, mostly just destroyed my hands.
While build the next section I took care not to get the mortar every where, then went back with a rag and cleaned it up similar to the way you do with tile. It seemed to work.. I didn’t rain on me, so that was nice.
There you go. Now I can replace that crappy door
Now I just need to back fill all the dirt around this. I may take some of the pieces that I have left over and kind of put them in the ground as kind of transition to the grass.