I haven’t finished the steps yet. I’ve been working on other things and to be honest, I really don’t like them. I have decided that since I have put so much work into this I can’t leave them this way. So I scraped the cap stones.
I went to the landscaping yard and picked up some Pennsylvania fieldstone.
Honestly I don’t know if this is going to turn out correctly, because I am doing this all backwards (like everything else). Worst case I have to take a hammer to it and start over. First I removed all those heavy ass cap stones.
The I added a little more limestone to level things out. This is most likely mistake number 1. No way I should be using limestone in this manner, now that I am going to mortar the fieldstone down.
Next I laid all the stone out, to get an idea how it was going to look.
Something like that. Really just need to get it close and then figure it out as I go.
I would like to reiterate that I don’t know what I am doing. I went and bought a couple 80lb bags of mortar, and started mixing.
It took longer than I thought, so nighttime creeped up on me. Here is a picture of what I was able to get done. It’s a crappy picture, I’ll have better ones tomorrow.
Can’t wait to clean up that mess.