It was a little warm the other day so I decided to work on the front porch lights. This has been high on my todo list because I have no front porch lights and it’s very dark up there. I should clarify, I do have front porch lights. They are busted to hell and back and I can’t get them apart to change the bulbs.
I actually finished the front steps a couple of weeks ago, but I have been too busy to post the pictures. One of the reasons I have been too busy to post the updates is because my little sister, and my new brother-in-law moved in with me temporarily while they find jobs. I had to clean out one of my work rooms to make some space for them.
Winter is coming. It’s going to be here any day now. I am not sure if I am going to get the steps done before it gets too cold. I hate doing construction work in the cold. I know I won’t be able to paint them before spring. So far, I am very happy with how the front porch project is going. I noticed today that the side walk is as straight as an arrow, and perfectly parallel to the house, where the old sidewalk was not.
I’ve pretty much been working on this project with every free minute since Thursday, It’s supposed to rain on Wednesday, so I need to have the patio done and back filled by then. Unfortunately Maddog and I did a little damage to the walk way, while jack hammering the steps. But, aside from some major catastrophe I should have it done by Wednesday.
I “finished” the walk way today. I put finished in quotes because it’s not really done. I need to extend it, in some fashion, towards the house so that it looks like it runs under the steps. Speaking of the steps, I have 2 more days of good weather, so I have to get the rest of the bricks in , and all of the dirt backfilled or all of this work will be ruined. For that to happen I have to finish removing the concrete steps that are there. Which, has proved to be impossible, thus far.
I’ve decided that after I finish this front porch project that I am not starting any more projects until I buy myself a beater truck. It just needs to get back and forth from Home Depot and it needs to cost about 500 bucks. But for now, that will be another post. If salami’s truck wasn’t in the bottom of the Canal, I could have borrowed his.
This really hasn’t been a good week for me, and I haven’t been in the best of moods. I got nothing done yesterday. Well I got a new dining room table. I really don’t need one, my computer desk works just fine. But I have had an eye out for something cheep. Like say Walt’s dining room table, when he’s not home. My mother scored me this for 50 bucks, brand new, on clearance. Not a good picture though, it’s a pub height table. Real nice for 50 bucks.
The front porch project has been going slow for various reasons. One of which, is that it has been raining pretty much non stop here. The other reason is that I sold my car, which required some work. I had taken a bunch of pictures of me changed the EGR valve for a post, but I was so disgusted with that car by the time I sold it I never wanted to see it again. Who puts the EGR valve on the rear of the cylinder head? No more Chryslers for me. I then got a new car, which required some of my attention. I got a great deal on it, but it had a bazillion light scratches on it. I looked like the person who owned it drove it through a row of rose bushes every morning. I bought a high speed buffer and went to work and fixed it, but none of the pictures really turned out. So here we are, two months later, I am still working on the porch, and I still hate Salami (and cowski).
I ended up working from home today, because I have spent the last week detailing my car and getting it ready to sell, and in doing so, I some how rendered it useless, and unable to start this morning. I eventually figured out what I screwed up, but that is a different blog post. When I was done working I decided to get the sledge hammer out and get to work on the sidewalk that needs removed.
I finally got all the metal attached to the porch. I’ve been pre-occupied with other things so it took a little longer than I had hoped. I found a stucco mix (recipe) that I am comfortable with, and I found the color I think I need for it. I bought a super tub, pictured left, and all the material in needed. I actually put some effort into reading up on how to mix stucco, and apply it and all that. There really wasn’t a ton of info out there. The mixture was printed on the back of the Portland cement bag, so I basically wasted all my time. I hate Salami.